Guard the Good Deposit Entrusted To You
"By the Holy Spirit who dwells within us, guard the good deposit entrusted to you." – 2 Timothy 1:14
I love this analogy. Just like how a bank will guard our deposits and give it back to us upon request, the Lord has deposited His resources to us for us to properly steward, and return to Him upon request.
The primary way to guard the good deposit is to share in suffering for the gospel (2 Timothy 1:8). We have full confidence through the Lord. Here's how Paul offers encouragement to Timothy:
- God empowers us (2 Timothy 1:8)
- He saved us and called us to a holy calling (2 Timothy 1:9)
- We're not solely relying on our own works (2 Timothy 1:9)
- We have His purpose and grace (2 Timothy 1:9)
- Christ abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel (2 Timothy 1:10)
Furthermore, God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control (2 Timothy 1:7).
Every weekend I write about some thoughts, life lessons, and interesting things I came by for the week. I'd love for you to join.